Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Panther

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
It was a wonderful place, with wonderful supportive and knowledgable counselors.

He stayed sober for four months. He still carries his four month coin with him. And he cherishes those four months sober.
This is not the first story I have heard of the intervention going well, but the recovery being rocky. I find it strange that people are quick to blame the intervention. Is it not more likely that the choice of recovery could be the culprit? Basically, the intervention is only part of the solution. It is the first step. The second step is picking a good recovery center. Now, there are MANY different types. Some are based on religion/spirituality, others on psychology and on and on. I believe the best rehabs are based on a MEDICAL model with scientific research at its base. Why? Because they have hard facts to support their treatment. I am all for spirituality. I meditate and read the Bible almost every day. But I think God gave us science for a reason, and I don't think he gave it to us so we could ignore it.

I have spent the last two months researching rehabs. If they mention anything about getting to the "underlying cause" of addiction (ie psychological problems causing the addiction), I go on to the next one. From my research I have found that the majority of rehabs are based on outdated theories of addiction. AA itself was founded well before any research had even been attempted. Carl Jung who gave the foundation for AA knew nothing of genetics or how the body becomes physically addicted.

Now before you go bashing me or others in this forum, you might give consideration that we are people who love people who are cursed with the disease of alcoholism or addiction. We put up with a lot of spewed anger and resentment from these people we love. We slowly learn to turn the attention toward ourselves and try to be healthy people because we can't deal with the disease of addiction if we aren't healthy ourselves.

Please......be respectful and thoughtful in your responses.

gentle hugs
Like I have stated previously - I respect everyone's struggle and effort. I am not here to bash you. However, I am also not here to sugar coat anything or water down the facts so that I do not offend. We are talking about a very complicated illness here. This is life or death. People are dying EVERY DAY from this disease.

If by challenging what you believe, you feel attacked, I am sorry. But how do you think I feel when I have people following me around from post to post harassing me (you know who you are)? Is that supposed to be pleasant?

This is a forum which implies Open Discussion. Anyone should be able to discuss new ideas and theories without being branded a trouble maker.

Panther