Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SweetDina

Hi all!

I'm here to talk about how to cope with an alcoholic family member. I need people to talk to that have been in my shoes, because my family and friends, don't know the half of it.

My husband was diagnosed with cancer in Feb 2010, been in remission for 6 mths now, but everything has been downhill from that point on. At first he was addicted to the pain pills, now he is completely off of it and alcohol has became his best friend. When you love someone you do everything you can to help them, I spent many sleepless days going back and forth to the hospital, work, home, and taking care of our three year old and I'm still doing it because his drinking is worse than cancer. He doesn't think he has a problem because he can say no anytime and he only drinks to go to sleep, which is such a lie. I have a bad habit of believing the best in people and now after a year and a half of unfortunate events, I'm lost. I'm starting to second guess myself and my beliefs. His drinking has really took a toll on all of this. 1. He tried to hurt himself because he was so angry that I wouldn't accept his drinking 2. he got drunk and started huffing paint and downed a whole bottle of ambien 3. He got drunk again and told everybody including our 3 year old that he didn't care about anyone, those are the three things that I will never forget. It's one thing to drink, it's another thing to abuse it. He can drink, its just that he has a disposition to do so, and it's just not working out. I stay because I don't have the heart to take our daughter away, he hasn't harmed her physically but I know that he has altered her mentally with the drinking.

This alcohol abuse is the worse thing ever, second to none. It just hurts to cry everyday, to miss work because I couldn't sleep through the drinking, it just hurts. You think that if someone survived cancer they would start to enjoy life and learn from it, but unfortunately he didn't. I'm all for helping him but enough is enough and I told myself to move forward before I get resentful.

Now I am resentful, angry, and lost.

What would you do?