Thread: Intervention
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

This is a scary topic...

...the consequences of a bad decision can be severe. Having said that, I'll tell you I did an intervention on my wife. To this day, eight years later, she's still pissed about it even though she understands why I did it.

Bottom line? She relapsed almost immediately after coming home-- a 100 percent failure rate. However, it is where she was introduced to the 12 Steps, me to Alanon, and our daughter to Alateen. These programs, years later, helped us to save our relationship and improve our lives.

So, was the $8,000 I spent wasted? Did the program really fail? At the time I thought so. In hind-site I'd say it was worth twice that simply because it showed me the way to Alanon. I'd do it again in a flat second.

And, as others here have already said, there are no guarantees it will work. There are no guarantees anything will work. You make the best decision you can at the time you have to make it, whatever that decision is, and you hope for the best.

I'd suggest you ignore the statistics around recovery. Everything we did failed until my wife, of her own volition, put herself back into treatment and fully immersed herself in AA. She is now 8 months sober. At this moment both her treatment and AA program have a 100 percent success rate for her. Tomorrow it could go to zero percent. It truly is one day at a time.

Lastly, and more important than anything else I've said, please consider going to an Alanon meeting to learn more about the situation you are dealing with, yourself and why you are engaged with it, and to get some tools for coping with alcoholism. You'll be glad you did.

Take care, take what you want, and leave the rest.

Cyranoak