Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Inafishbowl

Thinking of taking my 9 year old to Alateen...

Hello everybody. I just posted this in the newcomers forum but it was wisely suggested that I post it here. I am an alcoholic mother very new to recovery in AA.

Last night I came across some literature about Alateen. On Tuesday nights there is a pre-teen meeting in the evenings for 4-11 year olds. My daughter is almost 10. My gut is telling me this is a very good idea. On the recent drama, I have encouraged my daughter to not talk about it with friends at school. Yes, this is for me, but also for her too. I don't want any judgments being made about me so that parents might not want their kids coming over. I never drank when kids were here anyway ('cept mine). Anyway, I do feel a wrongness in asking her to keep a secret that is as much her truth as it is mine. I like the idea of her being able to talk to other kids who share similar experiences.

But also I question it too. I can't imagine 4 year olds interacting in a group with 11 year olds. I guess I have to go and find out. Another mom in one of my meetings is thinking about bringing her kids too.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.