Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

So my question is this: putting his recovery, his success, and his future sobriety (however long it may be) all aside, should I just get out of this relationship while I can still save myself?
I would. That's really easy for me to say though, and only you know what you're willing to live with and what you aren't. I'm glad you're reading other stories here.. alcoholism if left untreated is a terminal disease. If treated, it will still require active recovery and vigilance on the part of the alcoholic. I know this because I am an alcoholic.. and I would run from me if I were a mere week and a half into a treatment program.

It may be the most loving gesture you can display, to get out of the way of his recovery. I'm not meaning that in a bad way, or being snarky, but if he truly wants to recover, he will need to be pretty darn focused on it, for at least a while.. because his life truly depends on it.

If he isn't successful this go'round in rehab, then what. Are you prepared for the roller coaster you've likely read about here? You can love him from a distance. Ask him to contact you when he's 6 months into his recovery to update you on all the great work he's done on himself. And then take care of YOU.

We do recover.. sometimes.