Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

I'm also a mother of a little girl. She's 2.

The thing that got me moving and out of the toxic environment of my abusive marriage to an alcoholic was this: I imagined my daughter, a grown woman, involved with the same kind of man that her father was, letting herself be mistreated and abused because she thought she had no other choice or didn't deserve any better.

It made me want to puke.

That image is ultimately what got me out the door. Yes, I had a child with a terrible man who didn't deserve to be a father. I made a poor choice. And yes, I stayed with him longer than I "should have". BUT, right now, today, I am showing my daughter that people can change for the better, and that I *categorically refuse* to be mistreated or to let anyone mistreat my child, whether directly or indirectly. No way, no how.

I know I don't control my daughter's future, but my goal is to at least model healthy human interaction for her.

All this to say: if you want to let emotion guide you, let it be the Big Mama Bear emotions that will help you and your girls escape that toxicity. Your daughters deserve a SAFE and sane home, and YOU deserve happiness.

Keep posting!