View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

If your brother would be good company, go for it.

I had a couple of pretty cool experiences on the way back, which helped me be sure I was doing the right thing.

First, the place we had moved to was where I'd grown up. I loved it as a place to grow up, but it had changed so much (and maybe I had) that it didn't feel like "home" anymore. I wanted to see my best friend from high school before I left, but she was on her way to a wedding in Kansas City (I was coming from Colorado), so I was sad I didn't get to see her before I left. I got a good start on my trip, and stopped near the Kansas border to use the bathroom at a rest stop. Who should I run into, in the bathroom, but my friend? We talked for a bit, hugged, took pictures--neither one of us could believe it!

I also noticed signs, as I was driving near St. Louis, for the Our Lady of the Snows shrine, which has a fabulous Christmas light display you can drive through (I was traveling right after Christmas). I decided to take a detour and drive through the light display, which was breathtaking, and I stopped briefly to say a prayer for the ex I was leaving behind. I stopped in the gift shop to use the bathroom and buy a couple of gifts for friends.

I got back in my car, and about a hundred miles down the road stopped to get gas. I discovered my wallet was missing! My heart in my throat, I looked up the number to the Shrine's gift shop. Someone had found my wallet IN THE BATHROOM and had turned it in. I turned around and drove the hundred miles back to get it. If you have to leave your wallet in a bathroom, I guess a shrine is the place to do it.

Anyway, I was so grateful for both events that it made the entire drive feel blessed, if you know what I mean. I only cried a couple of times, not the whole way, lol.