View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Do you NEED to pack everything at once? Can you start putting aside/packing things now, and not make it LOOK like you're packing? (in other words, get a couple of plastic containers and start putting "getaway stuff" in them and just make it look like you're storing them.

Sort clothes into two piles/places, one you would take with you and could take quickly, and the other clothes you can live without. Keep the first pile separate. I kept all my "must-have" clothes on one side of the closet and the others on the other side. You can even get a suitcase and put some stuff in there. Make a list of the essentials (1 robe, three pairs pants, etc.)

Go around the house and pick out the things that you really would feel bad about losing, and either segregate them now, or put them on a list.

Also make a list of the important things, like birth certificate, passport, etc. that you need to take. Again, it's easy to pre-pack those things in an envelope or something and set them aside.

Also, look around for any momentos, photo albums that you really want to keep and pack those now, if you can do it without making it obvious they're gone.

One you start thinking that way, it makes it easier to carry through, and half the job is done. And I would say, just think about what you can manage. Don't pack from the perspective of taking whatever you don't get rid of... pack from the perspective of, what's the minimum I need and want and start there.

The other stuff, either you have time to pack it before you move, he sends it to you, or he gets rid of it. Either way, you have the essentials, and knowing you have packed what you need in order to leave really breaks the inertia.