View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

I have heard quite a few folks in my group say they came to learn how to "fix their A" but that they realized they needed fixing too. I started going about 10 months ago. I had just moved out from my house and was suddenly not anyone's wife or mother. I did not know who I was! I did not know how to focus on me. I went to figure out who I wanted to be. So far it has been great. I learned so much about "my crazy" and have been able to let go of many negative feelings. I also have had wonderful opportunities for self reflection. This past year was the hardest of my life but I was still able to write a very long gratitude/lessons learned list. I thank Al Anon and the wisdom of all those folks and their experiences. I am so much more aware of what I want, what I don't want, and how to ask for it. Yes I still have tough days, and sad days, and can go back to crazy in a snap but now I recognize that and have tools to help me not stay in the crazy. A few people have commented about how I am a different person than I was a year ago. I look back and feel such compassion for the person I was then and how hurt, lost and frantic she was. I see that person often when there are newcomers to our AL ANon group. I hope I can share some of my wisdom and strength with them as so many have shared with me.