View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by BobbyJ View Post
I have learned, dont talk to your friends or family too much on WHAT to do's..
Because the normal people dont have a clue on what alcoholism is and how in depth
the problem really is...It's not just about having too many beers, wish it was that simple...GOOD LUCK TO YA!!!
Well said, BobbyJ! My RAH has been in recovery for coming up on 120 days this month. I am not jumping for joy by any means, but I am learning to be far more grateful for each day that he remains sober, as it gives our family a chance to survive alcoholism. Al-Anon and reading everything I could get my hands on really helped to change where I was at - completely concreted in some pretty heavy anger. And like BobbyJ, that anger was really about my disappointment and resentment at not having a "normal" family and marriage.

Well - today this is my normal and it feels pretty manageable! I talk (and vent) to others in my group and here at SR, I don't bother my family with anything that isn't on a positive note; they don't understand, it only upsets them). I am letting go of the past hurts and anger...and I feel so much better today.

When someone first told me to Let Go and Let God, I scoffed - what does that have to do with anything going on in my sucky life?! Now its something I practice every day. In all aspects of my life. So far, so good.

I finally get it - the detachment, the acceptance. Keep reading, go to Al-Anon, it will start to sink in and you will find yourself in a much better place in life.