Thread: my story
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

If you've poked around recent threads, I have a pretty consistent reply to these situations.

He will not get better on his own. you can't make him get better. There is no sobriety fairy who will make a night time visit and sprinkle magic dust over your situation and make it go away.

You really have 3 choices:
Do nothing and hope for the best.
Leave, don't look back and take care of yourself.
Draw a line in the sand stating exactly what you will tolerate. Then be true to your word and leave if that line is crossed.

The last option seems to be the one people who stay with alcoholics need. We seem to need to know we did everything we could do, and gave the alcoholic every possible chance to take care of this. Understand, there is less than a .1% chance your alcoholic can choose to NOT cross the line (assuming the line you draw has some form of changing his behavior involved). So if you can understand the wisdom of the collective here, you might choose to skip step 3. but I certainly understand if you must choose step 3.

The alcoholic lies, manipulates, cheats, deludes, attacks, and does what ever they want to do. Most often with no thought to the consequence to those around. Whereas people like us are exactly the opposite. It is the worst example of "opposites attract". Do you ever see two alcoholics together? Rarely. It doesn't work. they need us there picking up the pieces. Over time, they slowly convert us.

Look back to how you behaved and thought about yourself before you met this person. Are you the same now as you were then?

Welcome and best to you.