View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wanttohelphim

How to help closet alcoholic husband?

I found out last week that my darling husband of 24 years is a closet alcoholic. We drink socially and I've seen him have a beer or two while doing yardwork, but I didn't know he was drinking otherwise.

I knew something was wrong for the last two years, but couldn't figure it out. I thought depression, diabetes but couldn't get him to tell me or see a doctor. He got really sick and only after having a liver biopsy last week did I find out about his drinking problem and two days later that he has stage 4 liver cirrhosis has must have a liver transplant.

He's in denial but has agreed to see a counselor who specializes in addictions next week.

My question is, how can I help? We must speed up his recovery as his life is at stake. From what I understand, he will need to get out of denial quickly and into recovery in order to be listed on a transplant list. We have not yet met with the transplant social worker.

Should I press him to tell me everything about his drinking.? He gets angry and says he doesn't know when I've asked the past few days.

We have three young children. I can't bear the thought of losing my husband and my children's father. He's really a wonderful man.