View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
linda1

New here, advice welcome

Hi Everyone, I have an alcoholic son who is 21. When he gets drunk he uses drugs. Says he really wants to give up but only seems to manage for 1 1/2 days and then seems to drink again. He is having counselling once a week and they said if he could stop drinking for a period they would try and get him into rehab. Am worried that I am enabling too much and nagging. Am I allowed to say "why did you drink last night when you said you wouldn't" or "please don't go to the pub etc.," or is that "nagging" which you are not supposed to do. I'm also not quite sure about this enabling thing. I don't give him money although he is getting into quiet a lot of debt which will all explode soon. I do give him a home and food but have stopped doing his washing. I do give him a call to get up for work in the morning as think losing his job at this time of recession might make things too awful. It hurts so much to see him do this to himself and just don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would really help.