Thread: amends_letter
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Kjell..... I liked the way Mark H and Joe H describe doing amends:

1. I'm an alcoholic, I'm in recovery now, and I'm working to clean my life up. Part of that entails cleaning up the wreckage of my past. I'm doing this because I need to set things right or I'm in danger of going back to my old ways.

2. Here's what "I think" I did to hurt you:
a -
b -
c -
....etc......

3. Is there anything I missed...... (sit, QUIETLY, and listen to their response....you don't get to interject or talk at all)

4. OK, first off I'm sorry........very sorry.....and I'm doing everything I can to make sure I don't do that stuff to you or anyone else ever again BUT.......what can I do to set that stuff right with you? What can I do to make up for it or to pay you back?

5. -take notes because you're going to need to do what they ask you to do (this, of course, is discussed with your sponsor).

6. if they let you off the hook.....you're not necessarily off the hook. amends = compensation for a loss or injury (see Websters) If you know in your heart you owe them....then you owe them.....even if they're inclined to let you off the hook.

......that's how we do them in person......so try to follow that form in your letter.

And like was mentioned above - make sure you ask God for help with the letter. On your own, yer liable to make a mess of it.