Thread: amends_letter
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pattenat
Strive to be alive!

Originally Posted by ShockedGF View Post
With all due respect, the letter goes on and on about you pattenat and all the “reasons” why you drank. I read A LOT of you blaming circumstances and other people for the choices you made. I see only a single sentence expressing your regret.

As a person affected by another’s alcoholism I can tell you that all we want to here is that you “get” it. That you understand the pain you put us through and are taking responsibility for your choices. Yes, alcoholism is a disease, but it isn’t a get-out-of-jail free card as far as being accountable for bad behavior.
"Getting it" is the reason I started this journey. Today, I am completely committed to my recovery. I wouldn't be here if I didn't "get it".

If you looked at some of my previous posts you would probably see just how much I do get it. Drinking was my choice, I assume complete responsibility for where I ended up. Not pointing fingers at anyone but myself. I offered just a little insight on the "why" I drank. My own self loathing and self hatred for the things I was allowing to happen in my life because of alcohol.

I think me knowing his kids and offering his kids an explanation (not an excuse) of what happened ONE completely regretful night and allowing them to see my faults, my struggles, my fears, my remorse, to see ME, is what allowed them the forgiveness for us to move forward to a better relationship with one another. I am grateful that his kids are children of God and live to forgive and don't like to hold grudges or pass judgements when they don't have the whole story.

This is definetly not the approach I will be taking with my own children and others in my life that have been close enough to watch me destroy myself as well as close enough to suffer from my actions.

Thank you for the insight. The comments to my letter will help me with the bigger tasks ahead. God knows I have a list!!!