View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thumper

I pretty much quit drinking at the end of my marriage too.

Today I will have a drink socially if I'm out, at home if I have company, or if I go out to eat with adults. I do not drink just to relax in the evening or when just hanging with my kids (like when BBQ'ing in the summer or spending time at the river or something). I have done those things before but have decided not to. Not necessary and I want to be an example that daily alcohol is not necessary/normal - especially since they probably can't produce a memory of their dad without a beer at his side.

I also think alcoholism can creep up on a person sometimes. If I sat down every night I felt stressed or lonely or even happy and had a drink before bed....well that seems like a poor plan.

I can tell you that other people's buzz freaks me out a little. I participated in a community volunteer project this fall and beer was part of the deal. Two or three people drank to much (not falling down drunk but to much) and it made me really uneasy and nervous - for them and their wives/gf's. I never gave that kind of stuff a second thought before.