Thread: A new face here
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1KnotCloser

A new face here

I have spent the past couple of weeks reading posts and gathering the courage to register and introduce myself. This site has helped tremendiously in my search to validate my feelings. So thank you to everyone who has been brave enough to share their stories.

A bit about my story: I am currently involved with an Alcoholic. Although he is in denial about his disease, I have no doubts. He was sober until the holidays approached, and it has been pretty much non-stop drinking since. Unfortunatly I am not new to this, my older sister introduced me to the disease while we were in our early teens. I have in the past been lightly involved with Al-anon, and will be attending a meeting tomorrow.

I do my best to detach with love, and have been taking extremely small baby steps to live my life for myself. So small are the steps that most are just ideas at this point. Finding the courage to move forward is difficult and just plain scary. Prior to being involved with ABF, I did an excellent job of self isolation, most likely due to never learning to cope with whatever it is that I never coped with from my past. I am trying now not to dwell too much on the past and just move forward, as there is nothing I can do to change what already is.

My biggest obsticle other than social anxiety, is knowing what is good for me (ie: being logical) and having my emotions hold me back. On top of this wall in front of me, I only recently moved to the area I am in, and really have no contacts or support of any kind, yet... That is what I am working on to change.