View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hollyanne

Hi Left,
Sorry you are in this situation. AlAnon or Alateen sounds like a good idea.
Number one, you MUST not take on the responsibility of minding your mother!
You are then in essence, minding her alcoholism.
Take a step back. Think of your house as mere lodging.
You do your thing. Say to both your mother and grandmother, "I am sorry, but it appears you are both stupid drunk again so I will go and be with my friends"
Go stay with your friends overnight and experience some normalcy.
You can also go spend time with your brother. If it is something that is possible, could you go stay with your dad or brother?
You are afraid to let your mother alone, but she will be fine.
Meantime you are wiring yourself now for life. These are your formative years and they are very important. You say you act like someone over 20 but you ARE 17 and should only be 17. Read all the stickies here and detach. You have no control over your mother/grandmother but you do have control over you and your future.
I like to say, if this was your friend, what would you advise? Take yourself out of the equation for a minute and think. Is it fair and responsible of them to have you live like this? Be good to yourself. Your mother must take responsibility for herself.
I am quite sure your mother loves you very much, but this is not about love.
She is incapable of doing the right thing because of drink.
You can love your mother without being her hostage. She does not get to control you just because she gave birth to you. She gets your love and respect when she earns it.