Thread: My first post
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pattenat
Strive to be alive!

vvl71w,

I've never tried to commit suicide over my drinking but have seriously entertained the thought one too many times.

Your story sounds like something my husband would post. Although, he drank with me the majority of the time. He just doesn't have the same reaction to alcohol that I do.

Although I've made promises to get myself under control in the past this is the first time I've actually done something about it and am completely committed to it.

My husband and I have been to counseling a couple of times and intend on continuing the sessions. I think it's helping. There's not nearly the arguments as before.

I saw a text to his son (he's my 2nd marriage) and it was from a few months back when I was still drinking that said he was seriously thinking about getting out of the relationship. For as many times as I have threatened to leave him, I was absolutely taken back and saddened by seeing it in black and white. I cried.

I really am making an honest and sincere effort toward dealing with my alcoholism for myself first, the benifit of my marriage, getting my kids away from completely destructive behavior, and overall just a happier future. I KNOW I wasn't happy before.

I know my situation is different from yours because I am the drinker but since I have had some sober time and am really using the time to reflect, heal, and improve. I do love my husband and am sorry for all the crap I put him through. (We had equal parts more often than not).

Thanks for sharing. It does me good to see posts that I can realate to and apply to my life and situation. Especially when it's the oposite end of the spectrum. (the person dealing with the alcoholic).

Hopefully your wife will seek help. And if not then honestly, I agree, and as much as I hate to say it, take your children's advise.