View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I too have noticed that over the past couple years I have been able to Let Go of other people's issues and just let them figure things out. I've learned to say what I want to say just once and then let it go. I think the turning point for me was when I finally let go of my brother, who was addicted to drugs and on an extreme downward spiral. I was so emotionally attached to him for so many years, that all he had to do was say one word and I would fly off in a panic trying to fix whatever it was. Without being asked. They were probably manipulations on his part which I was reacting to, and eventually I had to let go of the hurt that he was manipulating me and realize that I had to save myself. It was literally down to, "It's me, or it's him."

I've since been better able to not take on responsibilities that are not mine. Better boundaries. I now take 100% of the responsibility for all parts of my life and have healthier expectations of others. Taking all that responsibility and not expecting others to take care of me helps me to maintain those healthy boundaries and not allow chaos and confusion (and people who manipulate) into my life to begin with. I've found that when I am needy, I attract needy people.

I still have difficulty, though, not taking on other people's feelings and emotions. I still react pretty severely to other people's anger. Not sure why but I'm working on it.