View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
I am still this way with a lot of people BrokenHeart. I think I must have some weird, over-inflated sense of empathy and concern for others as though I am them and they are me?
Not saying this applies to anyone but me, but I find when I look back that the "empathy and concern" was a cover. It was a story I told myself to protect my ego. It was covering up a real arrogance and judgmentalism. I felt I knew what was best, not only for me, but for others as well. That's the part about not knowing where I end and someone else begins. If they would only listen to me, they would be soooo much better off. Because, dammit, I'm right!

I learned this growing up in a family who never admitted their own problems, but was quick to jump on what was wrong with others. Yes, it was an alcoholic family, but I think the result would have been the same even if alcohol wasn't involved. It was the whole, I know better, I know what I'm doing, you obviously don't attitude.

I've since learned that I have the power to take charge of my own life, but not others lives. Not even if I am married to them, not even if I am related to them. Each person has their own path, their own choices to make, even if I disagree. And even if it doesn't fit into my "plan" for my life.

L