View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
pixilation

When my AH kicked us out last August, the first thing I thought was "this is it, I'm finally out, with the kids" I figured I had all the cards stacked in my corner, social services would jump at helping a homeless mom with 3 kids, I can go to the women's shelter, etc. It would look terrible for him in court, because he kicked us out, so I would definitely get the kids, no more threats from him on how he would totally take the kids from me, because 12 years ago oldest son learned how to break out the screen and climb out of the window in the basement apartment I was living in with him, while AH was in basic training. And I didn't catch him right away, and MIL was outside and kept him with her.

Women's shelter was full, couldn't take in a woman with 3 kids(one being a teenage boy) who didn't get there via the authorities. No other shelters in the area had room for us either. Social services took forever, and didn't even look at half my paperwork(the parts where you explain special circumstances, such as a spouse who is abusive or an alcoholic)I ended up coming back, after being screamed at by my sister on the phone, and told what a loser I was for trying to temporarily live in a 1 bedroom apartment that a friend offered(both sister and AH attacked me about the apartment)

It's frakking hard, if you haven't lived it, don't judge. My support system fell apart, just when I needed it the most. Turns out, a lot of that was because I kept the drinking, the abuse hidden. My sister thought I was just being a bitch to him. She didn't realize what exactly was going on, because I never told her or my mother.

Editing to add some:

She finally confronted me in December, she happened to come to the house before I had cleaned up from the night before. So there were nearly a dozen cans sitting around. That, and me telling her about the DUI, having to go the food pantry for food(which I'm still having to do, plus I am utilizing a program that distributes excess produce and grocery items that are nearly expired, which at least means the kids and I are eating) because he has been spending most of his paychecks before he even receives them. I have emergency money hidden away, and am working on finding an evening job that pays enough to cover rent on an apartment. Day job would be too difficult to figure out, what with daycare and getting the other kids off to school, court dates(because that will be an issue, at least for awhile)