Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BadLove

Hi Rickie,

I don't think you're pathetic or weak-willed. Day 4 might have been the toughest for me so far, but the longer I make it past day 1 the better I feel and the easier it is to resist the cravings.

It's awesome you're thinking of immediate changes in your life that will make it easier to stay sober. I'm doing the same thing. (I keep reading from people here that they had to alter their lifestyles profoundly in order to make sobriety "stick.") One warning about moving, though: I moved to a new city and state about 18 months ago and thought living in a new place would give me a fresh start. For a little while I was able to cut down on my drinking, but because the only changes I had made were superficial (location, job, roommates), before long my drinking problem was worse than ever.

Don't give up! I'm on day 13 and I feel less and less pathetic by the day lol. When I gave in and drank, all I felt was trapped. Now, every time I wait out a craving until it passes, it feels like I'm reinforcing the image of myself a strong person who has choices. You can do it!