View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

sometimes the most loving thing you can do let them learn things the hard way. Unless he has a mental deficiency or is in some way incapable of fitting into society, he needs to be on his own.

I took my 55 year old cousin in a few years ago. He'd lost everything, certainly had a drinking problem. Behind in child support for years, as there is no recourse when you loose your job. the bill just keeps growing. His own worthless brother had him for a month, yet was unable to "help" him. He just dropped him off at a library everyday and said go find a job. Then, put him on a bus to me when it didn't work.

He has Autism, and let's throw in a head injury to boot. In short, he is not "normal". I took him personally to fill out a job application on site, and he was hired the next day. Took him a month to get on his feet on his own, and a little help from other family. He's now been living in his own place ever since. Works 40+ hours a week. Has a decent job, and is almost caught up with child support. Given a choice, he would sit in front of a TV, smoke, and drink all day.

I didn't give him that choice. And he stepped up. He is now a part of our society and family.