Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ukiah77

I never thought the whole soulmate thing existed, until I met him. He didn't drink this much when we met but it progressively got worse. The alcoholism has been absolute hell for all of us, especially for me, I hope that doesn't sound selfish. But it really has been. I love him more than anything and when he's sober, he's the best dad and husband. I really hope we can all recover from this, and that too much damage hasn't already been done. I read a blog on another website that was from a man who left his wife and kids after he got sober. He said they were a constant reminder of his past and all the bad things he had done to them. He said he wanted to start over with a new sober life and just couldn't do it with the guilt and shame he felt at home. That seems like a sad ending for that family. I hope that my husband and I can find the strength to make amends with the past, and rebuild our relationship, instead of just running away from it. By the way, I would love it if he would read through this website, but he will not. He is one of those people who thinks they can do this on their own, without any treatment or help. That's why I bought him this book. I will give it to him soon, when it's the right time I guess.