Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ukiah77

Husband sober for 2 weeks, what to expect now...

I'm new to this website, just found it today. Been married 7 yrs to my soulmate who unfortunately, is a functioning alcoholic. We have 3 young children under 4. He is 34 and has been drinking since he was 14. Currently it was up to a 12 pack of beer every night after work. After years of denial, my husband finally admitted he no longer feels in control of his heavy drinking. He quit drinking cold turkey 2 weeks ago. The reason for his "revelation" was in part to recent scary drunken behavior that he did not remember the next morning, and that I asked his dad to talk to him because I felt like it was no longer safe for him to be around our kids. He refuses to get any kind of treatment, no therapists, no doctors, no AA, etc. He has been very quiet after work every night, obviously struggling with physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms. I have let him have his space, and have not mentioned his "sobriety" yet. At what point should we, if at all, discuss what he's going through or what plan we have for the future to help him stay sober long term? I have a book I want to give him called "Under the Influence." It's full of information and facts about exactly what he is going through, but I'm afraid if I give it to him now, he'll get defensive or mad and I don't want to do or say anything to risk relapse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!