Thread: My situation
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
cp85rn

I never mentioned that my husband is a very high functioning alcoholic. We don't drink much around our families... friends have seen it before, and I've talked about it with a few of my close girlfriends, and they feel bad that this is happening, but none of them really understand the issue... They don't disregard my feelings, but they cant really give me any reassurance or advice...

I feel like the only person that I could tell that would have any use would be his father, considering he is the recovered alcoholic and his manager... I don't believe his dad knows actually... I dunno if he has ever suspected anything or not. His company has 2 buildings... his dad works in one, and then my husband works in the other and of course there are other workers but it is a small business (His dad owns half the company along with his uncle though)... also, he lived upstairs at his parents house, but they NEVER went upstairs (they have bad knees/backs) so they seriously never went up there ever. When we have them over, we don't usually drink with/around them, so I think the only time they have really seen him drink was at our own wedding... which I didn't want to mention it, but he embarrassed me at our own wedding with how he was acting. I told him I didn't want him to get too drunk, but he did... and I didn't make a big deal about it that day/night because I didn't want to ruin our wedding day. :-(

However sometimes when we go over to their house his dad will offer a beer to him, along with his grandfather when we go over there... and I just wanna be like nooooo... but I don't think anyone knows... he is highly functional for the time being, but I know that if it continues and it gets worse, he wont forever be highly functional like this!

If I was to tell his dad, with him being his boss and a recovering alcoholic, I feel I wont be the only one who knows, and I wont be the only one "holding him accountable"... I don't know... I really don't know what it would do, but maybe it will give him someone who can talk to him about making better decisions, because obviously I'm not helping him one bit.