View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I gave an ultimatum. It still pisses him off sometimes, but I don't care. Because for me - it was me firmly setting my boundaries, and I will not be married to an active alcoholic or a dry drunk anymore. Period.

I've read Debra Jay's books and agree with her - it is our responsibility to raise the bottom as spouses and family members. The one book in particular is "No More Letting Go". It also covers the process of interventions, which may be another step to consider for your situation.

She calls alcoholism a "family affair" and I agree. My RAH's behavior and choices directly affected me and my kids. That gives me a big investment in his disease! Therefore, giving that ultimatum for me was of utmost importance!

I did choose to separate, but I am also choosing at this point to remain married with the hope to be able to put this back together again, this time in a healthy way. I felt it was necessary to his recovery and mine to put some space between us right now. Its been difficult and painful but at least for me, a great learning process that I probably wouldn't have had with it right in my face. He's struggled, and I realized I wasn't helping because I wasn't working on myself yet.

You'll know when the time is right to make the next step. Until then, keep reading and learning about what you are dealing with. And take good care!