View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Live

ultimatums, telling others, dumping alcohol are all things we have done. They don't work and can make things worse.

First we issue ultimatums in an attempt to control another adult..which is not within our rights and isnt fair and then we often don't hold to them so we lose our credibility and it becomes making threats. empty threats, at that.

dumping alcohol is a waste. It is another attempt at control. He will get more and you will just be pouring your money down the drain. and maybe there will be an argument..because he really does have the right to drink if he wants. Even if it is destructive, and I completely believe you that it is.

Telling others, again, is often an attempt at control. We may humiliate them and try to involve others to put pressure on them. This may cause resentment and then more hiding and lying. usually counter productive.

Detaching and going "hands off the addict" and getting help managing our own lives and dilemna usually prove far more constructive!

If I could think of one single thing to get the alcoholic to stop drinking, I would tell you! I just have never seen or heard it!

Do take some time to read the stickies at the top of this forum, there is a world of wisdom up there.