View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Open AA meetings are still for alcoholics only to share. Visitors are welcome to come and listen, however, AlAnons and other visitors do not share at AA meetings. Closed meetings are for alcoholics only, no visitors.

Each meeting has their own 'group vote at their business meetings and decide if they will follow the 'guidelines' of world services to the above or not. The majority of the meetings I have attended around the country follow the 'guideline.'

The only time they can is if it is a 'joint' AA/Alanon meeting.

I share in AA meetings open and closed as the alcoholic I am. I share in AlAnon as the codie I am, leaving my alcoholism outside the door.

I am sorry your feelings were hurt, and I would like to believe that the person who approached you was not out to hurt your feelings but was just telling you the guidelines of that meeting.

I have to add that some newly sober alcoholics (those in their first year of recovery) can and have 'freaked' out when they find out non alcoholics are sharing in 'their' meeting, and have been known to 'shut down' for a while and lose their trust.

J M H O

Love and hugs,