Thread: My situation
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
newnormal4me

All I can say is you sound just like me in the early years of my marriage. My AH was more of a social drinker then, but I could see the makings of an alcoholic pretty early on. I did what you are doing...I nagged him about it. Overall we lived a very normal and successful life, but his drinking was always that thorn in my side. For me, it was probably more personal since my own father had died from alcoholism. But again, I saw something, red flags so to speak, and I told him about it, but honestly never did anything substantial with it.

Unfortunately it progressed, some bad things happened because of it (won't go into detail, but I was the one that got horribly hurt emotionally). Now today, it has progressed to drugs. After 18 years of marriage we are currently separated. I also loved (still do) my AH with all of my heart. I couldn't imagine leaving him over the issue. Of course back then it wasn't near as bad as it is today. I wish I would have did something though...at least for me.

I can't tell you what to do. And not sure what advice to give you. All I can say is that I wish I would have did things differently. I wish I would have taken the issue more seriously than I did. And, I wish I would have gotten help for myself... It is all very confusing, I understand. But at some point you are going to have to deal with it, someway, somehow.

Consider going to alanon, consider reading some material either from alanon or about alcoholism. Your husband may not be an alcoholic, but if not, the red flags are there. The bottles in his room several years ago...makes one question just how far it is.

Keep reading here...I wish I could give you some clear cut advice...just do what you can to educate yourself...and don't ignore the issue. If it's alcoholism it will not just go away. ****{hugs}}}