Thread: Just Joined
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your story with us.

I hope you will continue to read and post as needed.

It appears you are taking positive steps in your life to take care of yourself. Good on you.

You asked about your A's behavior:

Originally Posted by IBelong View Post
My question today is, why does he always talk about his recovery so often. Why does the conversation always end up talking about drug use and drinking binges. Sorry I don't show it, but it gets to sound like a broken record. I can only think maybe he's using again. I see him so seldom that I wouldn't know. But it's always made me suspicious as to his constant chit shat about his past habits or present for all I know.
He tells me to ask him anything and he'll be straight up, but this is not the case. It's always flourished with "What do you think?" What's up with that?
I'm not sure any part of that is recovery. It would be difficult to determine or answer questions about your A. Most active A's (alcoholics/addicts) follow familiar patterns of blame-shifting, lying, lies of omission, manipulation and denial. The patterns continue into sobriety if there is no active recovery to remove old patterns.

The important thing to remember is what is important to you. Do you want a friendship/relationship with someone who dwells on past unacceptable behavior? Do you want a friendship/relationship with someone who says one thing "ask anything" and does another "what do you think".

Look at the actions. They reveal more than the words.