Thread: Should I run??
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
lillamy

My intial reaction was to say "Run!" and nothing else.

But you know, I've been there. He goes to church, he has a good job and a nice car, and you know, everyone has some kind of problem, right?

Here's the thing: It is my absolute conviction that gut feelings hit us for a reason. Whether you want to see it as God speaking to you or your body telling you "hey, your brain has picked up a bunch of warning signals here that you refuse to deal with, so we're gonna hit you where it hurts so that we at least know we've done our part in warning you" is up to you.

I think you know the answer to your own question, really. Maybe you came here to hear that "oh no, if he still has a job and a nice home and a car, go for it." I don't think you'll hear that here. My husband had a high-profile job and made big money our entire marriage. Still does. Lived extremely well and people envied me -- he was hot, he was rich, he was successful, he was charming.

Reality, behind that, was that his alcoholism gave two of our kids Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome, put me on antidepressants for ten years, and finally ended up threatening our lives. Even today, if I were to tell people who know him professionally, they'd call me a liar.

Surface appearances are nothing. Alcoholics are dangerous, destructive people to live with as long as they are drinking and refuse to deal with their drinking. There's no line between "problem drinker" and "alcoholic" in my mind -- the only difference is that when someone says their spouse/boyfriend/mom is a "problem drinker" I think "they don't want to see reality yet, that's all."

It sounds like this guy has charmed himself a little bit beyond defenses that you originally had up against him. He might be treating you like a princess now. My husband did. Worshipped the ground I walked on. I'm warning you, it won't last. Sorry I can't say anything more upbeat, but it's what I thoroughly believe.