Thread: Should I run??
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dogluvah

Should I run??

Hi, everyone. Ok, here's my question/situation: This guy has just started to pursue me from my church singles group, and I know he has liked me for a long time (over a year). Initially I didn't feel he was my type, but I have to admit he's really cute and the way he looks at me, and playfully touches me all the time tells me it could be something really special.

Here's my concern: I think he may be an alcoholic and he smokes (don't know how often yet). He may just be a problem drinker, which is bad too. However, I'm friends with his roommate and his roommate thinks he's an alcoholic. His roommate told me of a time that while drinking he banged on his bedroom door loudly when he had a girl in there and yelled, "I don't want any f****** in my house!"

I just went to a Superbowl party at his house, and he was drinking quite a bit-so was the roommate though. Anyway, while he was pouring me a drink, as the day progressed, he couldn't keep his hand steady and he spilled liquor on the floor and my wrist (only a little though). He didn't look drunk, and he didn't look drunk later that evening when a few of us stayed late to further socialize with him after the game. I did notice-and maybe this is important-after the game was over, he didn't continue to drink. He just had one red bull when some of us stayed a bit longer after the game.

If he is an alcoholic, right now he's functioning and has been for over a year. He has a nice home, a car, and a business that he's taking care of.

Still, I know that if I find out he drinks heavily all the time-he did say he likes to drink after work, but not too much-or smokes regularly, I don't want him. I woud be with him though if he gave up the smoking at some point and became a social drinker only if he currently has a problem. I do know that I hate cigarette smoke and I won't let him smoke around me, or in any car that I travel with him in. Another mutual friend of ours says "nobody's perfect" and I shouldn't discount him just for the smoking. She said if he does have a problem with alcohol she hasn't seen it. But, then why would he spill that drink on my wrist and a little on the floor? But then again, after I myself had a few drinks at a party once, I almost fell on the dance floor several times. And I'm no alcoholic and don't drink often...

Please give me your opinion on if I should date him? We are just starting to like each other. Also, another friend thinks he's an alcoholic as well because that particular friend saw him show up at a superbowl party last year with a red nose...What should I think??