View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
RedBaron

I am not having my six-year old police my wife: They have learned only too well over their short years when their mother is drinking. They have asked me many times why is mommy talking funny, or why does mommy's orange juice smell different, or why does mommy get mad when she drinks from those bottles? And I have answered their questions by saying that mommy has a problem, and made it very clear to them that when mommy is in that state, they must never, ever get in the car with her. I cannot pretend that the problem doesn't exist, and I especially couldn't do so before when she was often in the house alone with them and would try to drive drunk with them in the vehicle.

Last night, the youngest came running to me about his mom. I didn't send him to check on her; he just knows the signs, and is angry about it, and does what many six-year-olds do when he sees someone doing something wrong: He tells on them. They cannot not be "involved" when they see their mother in that state. If she's around them, they are involved. They are not stupid.

As to the "cute" thing, it was about the only thing that's made me smile in the last couple of days. You have to know the kid to see the earnest way in which he says these things. I'm not minimizing the damage that is being done to them, but it does warm my heart to still see his wonderful character through the mess.

And perhaps I shouldn't have told them that mommy wasn't drinking. But I can't stand to see him not talking to his mom because of what he saw her doing. Yes, it is covering up for her, but it's no win either way.

BTW, what is quacking? I've seen it mentioned before here...