View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
djayr
Lord Have Mercy

Hi zrx--

You remind me of me, my AW is 5'2", 100 lbs, with a myriad of medical problems, actively drinking and lying about it. I am also filed for divorce as we speak, she moved out 3 weeks ago but we are maintaining a bizarre relationship/friendship. 16 years of marriage coming to an end.

My AW attracts bad friends and acquaintances of both sexes, due to her poor judgement when drinking, combined with her need to be needed and affirmed constantly. If I left her alone for a year, OMG, what would I come home to? I say this because of your concern about your daughter, and the cast of characters that may enter in your absense.

It sounds to me like you're pretty fed up. I have been where you are, trying to figure out how much she has been drinking and what can I do to help her stop drinking. Checking up, looking at receipts, what I call "playing Sherlock Holmes", which is a joke because she is not clever enough or sober enough to even try to hide it. And when I bust her, it makes no difference, she does not change her ways.

The irony over the years is that selfish AW spent very little time thinking about her drinking, while I spent a HUGE amount of my valuable time checking, worrying, obsessing about it. That's where "detachment" comes in, something I learned quite a while ago at Al-Anon, yet it only works to varying degrees.

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to NOT have to think about this all the time? I do. It's humbling to me to realize how messed up I am personally, all because of AW's drinking. My head space is overly devoted to someone else's problems which I did not cause and cannot change, a phenomenal waste of time and productivity.

All the best!