View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
brokenheartfool

Originally Posted by zrx1200R View Post
I'm contemplating the wait until I return from Iraq idea. It has some merit. But the reality is nothing is going to change. And I know it. Even though it is better now, it is just a matter of time until it is just like it was. It won't happen suddenly. We will just creep back to our old lives. And all of us here on this forum know it.

Waiting until I return has the added bonus of more than likely keeping intoxicated strangers out of the house with my teenage daughter in it. Divorced and out of the country, the reality is there will be some guy in the house with my daughter. She's about 5'2 and 100 lbs. No amount of "better life" for me is worth the risk. And if I'm in Iraq, my life is essentially the same married or divorced.

But, if the youngest daughter is agreeable to move in with my parents for a year until I return, the game changes.

I suppose the original intent of my post was to vent. And to illustrate to those just starting a relationship with an alcoholic what they are in for.
Well I don't know it--that things will be the same when you return. Not trying to encourage false hope here. Hope is NOT a strategy. (One of my favorite sayings these days).
Just wondering if a year apart breathing room would do some good. But you may have already been down that road in the past and it didn't work.

Your life would be same in Iraq married or divorced except two ways--your heart is on hold, and two, that you can't disengage mentally and be just you alone.
Practical matters--who do you want as your beneficiary. What financial occurances over the next year could affect your decision to end it or not.
That stuff is just the math.
Keeping your daughter safe is a thoughtful and loving gesture. She can keep you up to date on what's happening around the house. A plan for your daughter should mom act out too much and affect your daughter, is a very good idea. Alternative living arrangements--that's being a good boyscout.

You'll make the right decision. I can see your mind ticking away with the pros and cons.