Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
blwninthewind

Originally Posted by sheila84 View Post
We live in a really small town, and he knows most everyone. He's embarrassed that he'll know the counselor. Same with AA, he doesn't want to see people he knows. Unfortunately the next town with AA in almost 2 hrs away. Yup, we live in the middle of nowhere!
I'm one of those that believes that the whole idea of amnominity (which I cannot spell) breeds shame. It in my opinion it keeps this a "family situation" or domestic issue...not a real live true DISEASE.

If he can believe he is an alcoholic. That it is a DISEASE, and not a lifestyle choice then others will too. I promise there WILL be someone else there he knows..he just wasn't aware they had a problem with alcohol, they hid it just like he is.

I hate it when I mention that my husband is in a 12 step program and I get the response of "oh, I'm soooo sorry".
They don't get it...recovery isn't bad. Living the nightmare of being involved with an active alcoholic is h$%%.
I'll take recovery anyday even if it means my own RAH is leaving our marriage. it's still a better life for everyone involved...now that's something to say about the recovery process and AA!