Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
jrlcpl

I have dealt with my STBXAW's alcoholism for the past 5 years and the last year in particular has been very difficult. Everyone's situation is different and only you can make this type of decision. I will tell you what I did as I know it helps to hear the stories of others in similar situations. I did everything I could to get my AW help. She has been to 30 day inpatient treatment 3 times. I have lost count the number of outpatient programs she has attended. She tried AA off and on. You will eventually learn there is nothing you can do and the only way an alcoholic will seek recovery is when they are ready, if ever.

I had been thinking of leaving for some time but also took my vows seriously. However, I also knew I was going insane and did not want to raise 2 kids in that type of environment. My lightbulb moment is when I came hope to a passed out wife and our 2 toddlers running around with no supervision. If kids were not involved who knows how the story would have ended, but knowing my 2 angels are totally innocent and completely reliant on their parents to raise them right, I did what I had to do. Being a single dad is not the best situation in the world, but it sure beats trying to parent with someone who is very sick and has no concerns for anyone else around them including their kids.