Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
seekingcalm

If he is not willing to seek help in fighting the disease of alcoholism, I see no reason for you to feel guilty at all for leaving him and taking care of yourself and your child.

Ultimately, the alcoholics we love can make the choice to recover. I left my exabf because he refused to go to AA, or anyplace else for help. He just "wanted to be himself", and "a life without alcohol is not something he was interested in".

That was his choice then, mine was to get out while I had a some hold on my sanity. It was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. I lived with friends until I found a place to live...it was hard, I missed him, but if he didn't love himself enough to try to be healthy, I couldn't stay and be a part of the craziness that is active alcoholism.

One year later, he is doing very well, in recovery, caring more about his sobriety than anything else. And we are slowly rebuilding our relationship.

We can only make decisions based on what we know NOW...
You never know how wonderful things can turn out when you take care of yourself, and of course your baby. I wish you the best.