Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Smacked - WOW - well said! And sadly, resonates for those of us who have been on this path for some time.

Sometimes I find myself thinking I am not like others - in Al Anon or on this forum - that I called this for what it really way very early in my marriage therefore I am not codependent, blah blah blah... Well I have since been humbled enough to admit that is a load of BS! And when I begin to think that way, I have to stop myself, remind myself that YES I am just like everybody else having a very similar experience that I am in their own varying degrees. My husband is also learning this in AA - that although the flavor of the stories are different, the underlying themes are almost dead-on EXACTLY like his!

JayR, you desperately want this to be what you describe - stopping the bus - and I pray that it is for you. However, there are many, many more of us who thought we had stopped the bus, only to be run over by it again and again. Alcohol is driving that bus and its not stopping until your wife stops it. Be careful that you don't get run over, too.