View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yogagal

Serious diagnosis for sober alcoholic

Recently, my sober alcoholic boyfriend received some potentially serious news about his health - a diagnosis that will shape the next few months in the short run, and likely affect the rest of his life. He was stunned when he heard the news and is saying "I'm fine" despite being in pain and receiving a prescription for painkillers that he will not take as prescribed because of his sobriety.

He sees a new doctor tomorrow, in a step to further diagnose and determine a course of treatment. He has asked that I not join him and I am fine with that. I asked him to call me after the appointment and he was reluctant to do so, saying "this is not a big deal and I wish people would leave me alone."

We are very close, I was in the room when the doctor first told him. In fact, the doctor told me before he even woke up from anesthesia. As a caregiver in the very early stages of all this, I am trying to be there for him, keep life as normal as possible and not set many, if any, expectations. While I want life and our relationship to remain as wonderful as it has been for the past 2 years, I also want to help him get and stay healthy. This is a very survive-able, but life-threatening diagnosis.

He is close with his sponsor and attends regular AA meetings. I have attended several local Al-Anon meetings as well.

If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate some advice. How much is too much? How can I help him? What should I do to take care of myself?

I am grateful for all thoughts.