Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aware1

Really need to help my partner with his mother!

I was looking for some advice regarding this situation that my partners going through. We're both at a bit of a loss but I'm hoping posting on here may help in some way.

My OH lives away from home and his mum drinks a lot at night to the point where she's totally intoxicated. Both his parents live quite an isolated life as they live in the country and I think this adds to the problem for her. The father though isn't remotely interested in her drinking and finds it all a big inconvenience and isn't prepared to help her in any way and is sometimes quite physical with her.

My OH's brother and sister have their own lives and aren't remotely interested in her problem either so my OH is trying to deal with this on his own and his mother won't admit that she has a problem and won't talk about it either.
This is really ruining my OH's life as it has been going on for 10 years now and I don't see any change with anything and it upsets me that it consumes him every minute of every day. Also when he speaks to his mum on the phone they usually go round and round in circles having the same conversations usually with my OH telling her that she was drunk last night and her denying it.

He has tried to get her to face up to it but she won't and because she is on medication for other things this only adds to her intoxication when drinking.

I know often people say not to ruin your own life and there's nothing you can do until the person admits that they need help but after ten years this hasn't happened and my OH would be happy to leave her to it if his dad wasn't being physical with her.

Is there anything he could do or do you really have to just wait till they admit that they have a problem because I worry that his life is going by in a stress induced haze because no one else will help him or her for that matter and he is the only person in the whole family who seems to be bothering to try and deal with the problem, although so far to no avail.