View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Thumper

In the beginning my xah spent long weekends away hunting, fishing, and golfing with his brother and friends. Lots of day trips hunting. Road hunting and drinking is such a good combo :afraid: He played softball with his friends, which always involved alcohol and stops at the bar. He went to the bar a lot.

As time progressed he golfed more and did the other things less. More and more he just stayed home and drank. This is partly because I seperated our funds, partly because he had a job he hated and didn't have the same co-worker base, and also his brother used to pay for tons of stuff but he had a child of his own and stopped doing a lot of that. Towards the end of our relationship (last couple of years) he isolated himself in the basement a lot. He'd pass out early most nights he didn't work and then got up again. He wasn't mean or abusive or even that hard to get along with. He is actually easy to get along with. He was grumpy more and more because he drank so much more, every day, earlier in the day. He was unhappy as well.

He is an good person - easy to get along with - decent values, which is why I married him, but even with that it is devestating to be married to someone that follows the voice of alcohol over the well being of their family day after day, year after year.

My friends and his got along less well. They didn't argue or anything but he is hard to talk to because he doesn't actually respond to what a person says. He just keeps saying his thing over and over and my friends (back in the day when I had them) talked about things back and forth. His friends just kind of shared stories, did activities, etc.

ETA: Yes when he was gone so much and I had the little babies at home I would be so upset. I was so tired as i worked full time and my babies did not sleep and he'd be gone - no matter how overwhelmed I was. And then when the twins were born he was home. I hated that too because he was right there, and his very presence on the sofa, beer cans all over, half asleep/passed out, every thing he said or did, enraged me. I used to wish he'd just go somewhere for a week again.