View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Wow. I am very sorry to read your story and hear your despair. But you did the right thing. Anyone threatening suicide needs to be hospitalized until that person becomes stable again. Your husband is a very sick man.

Where to go from here...I don't know that answer for you but I know what it meant for me, and many other members here have their own stories about how they picked up the pieces of their lives and their families and moved on from alcoholism and addiction. Take what works for you and leave the rest.

So first let me ask if you have attended an Al-Anon meeting? That is a great place to start. Secondly, see what the hospital does...they may recommend another inpatient stay. If not, can you suggest AA? I gave my RAH an ultimatum. It's worked ok so far, but we are separated until he can get a handle on recovery and sobriety. I won't say this has not been hard because its been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but in the end, I have to make sure me and my children are ok. He's a grown man, he can figure out how to make himself ok without my guidance or input.

Lastly, daycare can be an ok thing for kids. Change is always hard, but both my girls made it through a variety of forms of caregiving, from daycare to babysitters and they are both ok now. Transitions are difficult and painful, no matter what. As folks say here all the time, your AH can fend for himself; he's a grown man, but your children rely on YOU to take care of them.

Welcome to SR. You are not alone in your struggle; you will find many like minds here. I will say a prayer for you that you find peace soon.
~T