Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
blwninthewind

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Blwninthewind, hon, you are REACTING. (First thing I learned in AlAnon was how to stop doing that. So, I hope you do go.) First, though, I am very sorry you are feeling badly and crying. Don't do that; it makes your eyes puffy Seriously, I understand you are hurt and angry and you have every right to feel that way. But just take this one day at a time, OK? Especially because he is talking about August. And August is a long way from now.

Second, alcoholics, in AA and not in AA, say all SORTS of things to get a reaction out of us. And that's what you're giving him. Think for a second. With the kids and school, how much time and attention do you devote to him? Whenever I have been involved in relationships with alcoholics and addicts, my attention (and my emotions) were always directed at him in a major way. They thrive on it. They suck your energy from you and live off it. Now that you are devoting so much time, energy and attention to YOU, what else could he say or do to get your attention? It's crazy-making. And you're still letting it make you crazy. These are old patterns we all get stuck in, both the alcoholic and the partner of the alcoholic, which persist even after the alcoholic gets sober.

He may very well be trying to set things up for his own selfish purposes if and when a separation and divorce were to happen. But they are very well known for saying things that never occur. It sounds to me like he is saying things to get that reaction of FEAR and ANGER out of you. They like to keep us operating out of fear and anger, because that is the easiest way to distract us from the truth.

So, the best thing for you to do is figure out what YOU want for yourself and your life. And if that includes getting him out of your life, all the better. Try to bring your focus back to you and what you want. That helps you to ignore all the crazy **** he says and does. Also, next time he offers you the car, if you prefer THAT car, just say Yes, I want that car. And take it. Do whatever you need to do to make your life better and more comfortable. Be selfish about your comfort and happiness. But start by ignoring his QUACKING!!!

(((hugs))) stop crying now girl. You've got a lot of support and friends right here who understand what you're going through. Keep reading and posting here. You are going to be just GREAT! :ghug3
You know your right! But the strangest thing just happened ...I was reading your post and I when I got to the part about August being a long time off...I actually said out loud "August can't get here fast enough for me!" and I realized that I'm done. I'm out. I can't do the crazy $%^& he keeps putting me through...whether he's drunk OR sober. So he can say or do whatever he wants...do his best to manipulate the situation all he wants but I'm preparing myself and my kids to move on. I don't care what he thinks. He said this was what he wanted...so I can hardly be at fault for giving him the divorce he wants or says he wants. Even if he changes HIS mind...mine is made up!

I bet you $5 he's going to do a 360 within the next few months but it's already too late for him. I've done my time and I'm ready to be the selfish one and say that I'm not willing to settle for ANYONE less than I deserve.

I say good riddance....but of course I'll be crying tomorrow (or later tonight) but still...I know a good thing and I can finally see the light at the end of a long dark tunnel and dangit...I'm going for the light!!!!!!
Thank you for your kind words.