Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
wicked

I believe this too. And I realized I believe this just this morning, developing my answer (post) to the original post, and reading your posts on this thread brokenheart. I know I read somewhere that the consumption of alcohol actually changes the cells of your brain. That once you consume at a certain level, you cannot change the cell structure back. They are forever changed and will always expect the alcohol in the bloodstream, something like that. I think I read it in one of the medical-type Alcoholism books. I wish I could speak to it more fluently.

It makes sense to me in my observations of myself, my own drinking behavior and addiction, and the drinking behavior/addiction of others. I tell the kids in my family all the time, just don't start.
Yes, I read this somewhere too L2L. I was actually looking for something to show me I hadnt damaged my brain too much by 20 years of consumption.
(okay no smart remarks about denial, this is between me and my brain. hehehehehe)
The good news was that by not drinking anymore, I was not damaging those poor brain cells anymore, and I could start treating my brain better.
The bad news was that, yes, they would always be waiting, waiting for that first flush of addictive substance to hit it again, and then it would probably kill me this time.

Right now, my brain cells are doing a happy dance.

Beth