Old 02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thumper

I think your reaction was perfectly natural. You are aware though. That is important. We can't extinguish natural reactions but if we are aware, we can deal with them in a healthy way. Step up your own program of recovery. It will be put tot he test I'm sure.

I know what you mean. It isn't just the physical addiction to the soda, it is the routine - the steps an addict goes through to get their 'fix' that is also part of the addiction. The very process can brings a level of emotional comfort but they don't get the physical pay off of the fix - which is a dangerous game in my book.

My xah was sober all of about 6 days after he came back from his first rehab. So he would go to the corner gas station/liquor store to get a Mt. Dew. Flag. I *knew* then. So I bought a case of Mt. Dew and put it in the fridge. He still went to the corner store for a Mt. Dew. I was praying he'd go a few more blocks to the AA meetings but he did not.

He used to go to that store and get a 6 pack, or a single beer, several time a day. It was part of his 'fix'. It was part of his way of escaping and coping with even minor every day stress (or the major stress of being new in recovery) etc. So in a few days he was going there and coming home with a N/A beer. Well, you can see where this is going if he was only sober for a week.