Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
MarlinVX

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
Thread-jacking: Coyote, you make me laugh. (Thanks!) Your 'butt-puckering response' reminds me of the movie French Kiss and the Kevin Kline character "When people tell me they are happy, my a-- begins to twitch." Maybe the other side of the coin?

Marlin, I think it's an excellent idea finding a counselor for the kids. I'm astounded that the ones you've spoken to already only talk to them if there's abuse. Keep looking; there are counselors out there that specialize in addictions and the effects on the family and kids.

Best wishes.
The wall I keep hitting is their age. Most of em work with +7 yr olds.

Good news!!!
I just got off the phone with the AW. We talked for about 30 minutes. She is starting to recognize how bad her problem is. They made her watch a video about the specific drugs she was on, and the long term affects of their abuse and whatnot. I think she is scared that she caused permanent damage. I hope not.
With her psych degree, she expressed a strong desire to get into the field of helping others that are going through what she is right now. She knows it will be a while before she can do this, but she wants to get her masters in the field. She also mentioned how it is a great "portable"career. That is a military term for jobs for spouses that are easily found no matter where we move. There will always be sick people.
I know, I know, it's way too early to get excited, but it keeps getting better. Talking about portable careers means she wants to stay together, and talking about a career period at all means she is looking to the future, she knows she can't do that if she is doped up. She earned her bachelors in a little over 2 years, going full load, all year round. She can do what she wants when she puts her mind to it. She is a very dedicated person, hence how bad her addictions became.
Personally, I could never do that kind of work, I don't have it in me, too depressing, and honestly, I don't care about people in general. I care far more about animals than I do people.

She has now been in for 10 days, and she said she has another 12 to go. I guess she agreed to stay longer? She also asked if I can bring her mom with me to visit to her. That is good in two ways. One, she didn't want me to visit, now she does, and two, she wants to see her mother.