View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
fulloffaith

I think it is important to find a meeting you like. I go once a week to a meeting that is about 20 minutes from home. It is well worth the short commute because it has a mix of people that works. Many relatively young (30's) like me and some older who have lived with and handled their situations in different ways.

The important thing is to focus on yourself. A good meeting will sort of make that happen. It reminds me of this forum - you are not really allowed to be a victim. If there is a problem in your life, you need to figure out the best way to handle that problem. I know I am simplifying, but sometimes we get in our own way and overthink things (at least I do). Many codependents worry too much about our effect on our drinker. Alanon, for me, helps me to not be so overly considerate! It helps me to stop being super nice, and start acting in my own (and my kids) best interests.

Sometimes people's stories do not resonate at all. But often at least one person each week will hit a nerve and I will take away a nugget of value. Whatever you choose, I hope you find a way to have days filled with peace.